After a long Winter in Maryland, we are finally starting to see the first signs of Spring! As I sit in my kitchen writing my very first blog post, the birds are chirping, the grass is starting to turn green again, and local school kids are out on Spring Break. When Spring arrives, it is a call to action to get up, get out, and try something new. My something new comes in the form of food photography and blogging. So while the kids are Spring Breaking, I'm Spring Baking! Out with the old, and in with the new right?
Feeling inspired (on Easter morning), I decided to bake Lemon Velvet Cupcakes.
I absolutely LOVE the smell of fresh lemons in my kitchen and throughout the house. Here are the ingredients:
Cupcake Directions (Yields 2 dozen):
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line your cupcake (or muffin) tins with paper or foil baking cups.
2. Sift the self-rising flour and salt together in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the unsalted butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating each egg until incorporated before adding the next. Mix in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
3. Gently beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture, one third at a time, alternating with half the milk and half the lemon juice after each of the first 2 additions of flour. Beat until just combined; do not over mix.
4. Fill the prepared cupcake liners with batter 3/4 full, and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before removing them to finish cooling on a rack.
1. Cream butter and shortening together until light and fluffy.
2. Add flavor and mix until blended thoroughly.
3. Gradually add the confectioners sugar one cup at a time. After adding 4 cups of confectioners sugar, mix in 2 tablespoons of whole milk. Then, add the remaining 4 cups of confectioners sugar. Once mixed completely, add the remaining 3 tablespoons of milk.
4. Have fun decorating and enjoy!